Great Village Antiques opened in 2004 with 10 dealers and has since expanded to 30 dealers in 8 large rooms covering more than 6,000 sq ft on 2 floors. Great Village Antiques is owned and operated by Grant Dickie, longtime collector and dealer in Nova Scotia.
With items arriving everyday from the 3 maritime provinces, Great Village Antiques is Nova Scotia’s largest Antique ‘Group’ Shop and continues to provide quality merchandise with some of the most competitive prices in the business.
Great Village Antiques is located in ‘Layton’s General Store’ – which was established in May,1870 by Leander Carson Layton. In 1883 he took his brother-in-law, J.A. Doorman into partnership which continued until 1898. L. C. ran the business himself until 1912 when incorporated the business into L. C. Layton & Sons Ltd. – taking his 3 sons and 2 daughters into the business.
The business ran under this name until 1959 when Grandson Robert F. Layton bought the business and ran it until 1996. The building was made a Provincial Heritage Property in 1990 and in 1992 became a National (Canadian) Heritage Property.It is now the oldest traditional general store that remains the province.
Look for our Blue Spinning Wheel Tourist Destination Signs, Located at Exit 10 on Trans Canada Hwy 104.